This recipe was a real hit with a lot of people so we have made it available to you here. Enjoy!
Bacon, Herb and Pepper Cheese Cake
We made this on a sheet pan and then cut into small squares to serve with our Merlot.
For the crust and topping
- • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- • 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 4 slices, processed in food processor with 3/4 cup toasted nuts), I used walnuts
For the filling
- • 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- •1 cup packed, fresh whole milk Ricotta cheese,softened
- • 1 cup packed, soft goat cheese
- • 1/2 sour cream
- • 3 large eggs, room temperature
- • 1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as basil, mint, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, oregano and parsley), I used parsley, thyme and chives
- • 1or 2 large pinches cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • Kosher or Sea salt to taste
- • 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy; remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Line a 12-cup or two 6-cups 3-inches in diameter muffin pan with baking paper cups and lightly spray with cooking spray. Combine crust ingredients; divide evenly and lightly press 3/4 of the mixture in the bottom of the muffin cups. Chill while preparing filling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl of an electric mixer combine Ricotta, goat cheese and sour cream; beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time; beat until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir-in herbs, lemon zest, bacon (leaving about 3 tablespoons for the top), cayenne and black pepper and salt.
- Pour evenly the cheese filling over chilled crusts into muffin cups, top with the remaining bacon and crust mixture. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the center is just set.
- Transfer to a cooling rack; cool to room temperature. Serve as a cheese course with grapes, apple or pear slices